ThreeA X Marvel: Ultron

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ThreeA X Marvel: Ultron

Post by 3a_boltman on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Wow! It looks like went un polished. Chrome should almost look glossy and not flat and dull. Yikes! I ordered the shadow variant so hope it looks fine. When did yours arrive and where are you located? Did you get tracking?
3a_boltman
Tomorrow King

http://oltmandesign@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Rictus on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Seconded on the chrome... He was supposed to be super-shiny!

Also, something looks funny with the proportions around the hip/upper leg area.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo?

Boltman, that's a pic from someone else, not they guy who posted it. Very Happy

Mr. Rictus
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Not my photos, looks like HK peeps got dibs first.
I suspect rest of the world gets shipped out in another week or two.

IMO shadow and ghost look fine, just original got fukt.

More photos from Terry Chan on FB:

wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Rictus on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Man, that does not look good. :-(

Mr. Rictus
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by IronChap on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:45 pm

I bought Classic specifically for the clean, bright chromed paint job we were sold in the promotional pics. It was going to be an awesome shiny contrast piece against everything else dark and dirty in my collection. We saw the clean chrome paint job again at SDCC last year and it seemed like it was all on the right track.

This is a massive bait and switch from 3A. Utterly piss poor. Go look at the clean, shiny pictures of classic on page 4 of this thread then this shabby matte weathered finish that shipped out. Not even comparable.
IronChap
Tomorrow King

http://www.collectathingy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3a_boltman on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 am

In my opinion shadow ultron looks the best
3a_boltman
Tomorrow King

http://oltmandesign@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by abex44 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Bought the classic. Not sure if I can judge how shiny it is without seeing it in-hand.
The promo shots for Ultron are some of the most prepped in the history of threeA promo shots, so not shocked by the quick shot out-of-the-box shots ^above^

The weathering is something I wasn't expecting though. I will be reserving judgement, but not stoked to see the change in paint application.

abex44
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:55 pm

More shots of the classic Ultron by Terry Chan (FB)

wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by zzzzz on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 pm

I really like how the Classic Chrome version turned out! That is a perfect balance of shine and weathering. Really impressive. And the lights turned out like in my photoshopped images!?! Wow...
zzzzz
Oyabun

https://instagram.com/cinco_zeta

Back to top Go down

Post by Heirforce on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 pm

I think it looks pretty good and still has some shine to the paint app. The photos above without the lights on display it well.

Heirforce
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Rictus on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 am

Ultron isn't supposed to have any tarnishing since he's made of adamantium.

I know, I know, artistic license and all that, but I would have bought a different version if I knew the OG version would have weathering and not be straight shiny.

Mr. Rictus
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 am

Shiny enough by contrast.

Photo by Terry Chan (FB)
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:09 am

I got my tracking for Ultron as well as 3AA Membership package

Joshimus
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by counterfeit on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:01 pm

wutasi wrote:Shiny enough by contrast.

Photo by Terry Chan (FB)
whoa, that ironman second from the right.... which variant is that?
counterfeit
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by thumbtack82 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:30 pm

That's the Milk Emergency version, was a milk magazine exclusive. I had to look this up earlier as I wondered the same thing.
thumbtack82
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:43 am

Anyone get their Ultron yet?

Joshimus
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by PiggyV01 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm

I don't have a horse in this race but I think it's pretty fucking cheeky that Ultron Classic was, at every point, shown to be clean and chromed and then he turns up with a different, weathered paint job. I mean, it looks good but regardless, that's not what people bought. I remember the same thing happened with the GID Berties. Advertised as weathered GID, turned up clean. You just can't do that shit, ThreeA.

PiggyV01
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by IronChap on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Classic Ultron. Here we go. The silver itself isn't awful, but it's certainly not as chrome-looking as what we were sold. Pretty much looks like your standard metallic silver hobby paint. I am honestly too scared to move the fingers too much, they feel like they were only designed to go so far and any further they'd break. No give whatsoever past that point. There were clenched fists in the promo shots but I'm not game to try and force these.

The weathering just fucking sucks. No two ways about it. In-hand it is incredibly ugly and poorly done. Straight black lazily sponged on with no concern for consistency or blending. The edges on the top half of the head are weathered heavily and the rest is pristine silver? Does he bump his head and top 'teeth' all the time or something? The outlines drawn on the knees are particularly bad. There's a brown panel wash on some areas, but that too was a rush job and has some pretty ugly mistakes on the torso area and legs. And why does the weathering just end halfway around the top of the waist piece?

Might be whining but fuck it, I shelled out for this because they advertised a clean chromey figure, and that's not what turned up in the mail. Yeah the promo pics were most likelyphotoshopped to buggery, but even at SDCC2015 the clean Classic promo on display was better looking than what shipped. Incredibly disappointed with how this turned out, and disappointed in threea for this bullshit bait and switch.
IronChap
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Same idea happened with Atlas and Peabody from Portal. They were actually less weathered than the pics which imo looked better than the slightly weathered we got.

Joshimus
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:35 am

I got my Shadow Ultron today and part of me wants to sell him and part of me wants to keep him. The box is fantastic too.
I got the shadow red lights version. Still deciding. Takes 9 AG1 batteries...not an easy find for me.

Joshimus
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by counterfeit on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 pm

actually I more like the final ver of chrome ultron with a bit weathering than just plain chrome.

btw, since I bought on retail (blue light ver) looks like I need to wait a little longer... sshh...
counterfeit
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by IronChap on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 pm

The problem is the weathering is applied terribly and it doesn't look like weathering, it just looks like black paint slapped on inconsistently with a ratty sponge and slipshod panel washing. And that's saying nothing about the overall shocking gouges and nub marks all over the figure. So far my concerns seem to be going completely ignored, which is disheartening considering staff have definitely been posting on the forum since I've aired my grievances both here and in the QC thread.
IronChap
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:50 am

think many cancelled durin wait and 3A Cs have some reg with red lights available?

how much was it?
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by LV-426 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:13 am

I read both posts in the different threads and if that isn't a "bait and switch" there's no such thing as a bait and switch. That thing you ordered, or thought you were ordering---though I personally have contempt for all of Disney and its many, many subsidiaries---is really kind of beautiful. What you got, looking at all the photos you posted in the link, not to put too fine a point on it, is a piece of junk.

Not trying to insult anybody or 3A or anything like that. But based on what I see, what you've written can hardly be described as "whining". I'd be pissed. This looks worse than the lazy, POS hack-job they did on the Angry Zombkin, and I was pretty hot about that. If we can wax poetic and praise things we love to the stars, we can be honest when we're promised stars and end up in the sewer with a bunch of turds.

Last edited by LV-426 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
LV-426
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 am

I do agree that the weathering on Shadow Ultron does seem kinda, like random spots I guess, but the figure itself looks nice. I would imagine more wear around the edges than splotchy but, I dunno.

Joshimus
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top