Sam Slade Robo-Hunter

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sam Slade Robo-Hunter

Post by Mindless-Focus on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am

Gotta say, I was leery about ole Robo-Hunter. I am not a fan of the PVC body that was used. This, however, is actually a pretty solid figure. My joints are all tight. I was not sure I'd like him, but damn do I regret not getting another. Another great 2000AD figure knocked out of the park! More, please.

Mindless-Focus
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizz on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Got mine a few days ago, such an amazing figure - Really looks like Ian Gibson's art jumped off the page!!! Please please pleeeeeeease do Halo Jones.
Grizz
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Late to the party and missed Slade pre-order on Bamba. Found it shortly after on Zavvi but they let me down.(2nd and final time for Zavi) 3A CS were unable to help as all stock had already gone. Found and ordered one from Play-Asia who say they have him coming in stock feb 26th. Never ordered from them before so who knows.

Fingers crossed !

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by BPP on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:38 pm

What box numbers did anyone get with Sam on their shippers? Mine was 78.. probably the lowest I've gotten on a regular 3A toy.. wonder how many of these were finally released.

Greg - do you know if CS have any overstock?

BPP
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:00 am

You'd have to email CS if they have any stock. There aren't very many out there in general. Pretty low run

3A Staff
3A Staff

http://worldof3alegion.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:38 am

CS told me all stock had gone and no chance of getting one unless there was a cancellation. Play-Asia have shipped so fingers crossed I'll have him in a week or two.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by YamiQ on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Just a heads up. I was on hlj.com looking around and they still have him in stock. Just in case someone is still looking for one around retail. Little higher than the other places sadly, but at least in stock lol.

YamiQ
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by shaunotdead on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 pm

I must say, a huge thanks to YamiQ for your heads up. I went on hlj.com, I ordered one and its on it's way. So thanks for that, I got let down by another retailer and didn't think I would get him. Very Happy

shaunotdead
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by mortifactor on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey, got my figure! Cool fig, but I have some QC problems. Loose joints, gun hand falls off very easily, boot strap things fallen off after 2nd and third handling. Belt won't snap shut and the bandolier came off as I tried to fix the belt. Is this normal for 3A now? The last thing I bought was ro-jaws ages ago, and his arm broke and tyre went sticky. What are the other lines like?

Not complaining, I can sort this one out myself - just wanted to mention in case anything can be done before more popular/complicated characters. Also ankle joints should be mandatory!! Razz
mortifactor
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Slade arrived today from Play Asia.

I love 2000ad, I love 3A are doing this line. I plan on buying everything you guys put out. On the basis of 5 minutes with Robo Hunter its in doubt.

I know its silly to let little plastic men set you off on one but I'm sat here raging at what could have been.

I almost left him in the packaging when I realised he had ZERO articulation from top to bottom of the boots. WTF ?
A $60 action figure with no ankle rocker, no toe bend. He looks like crap unless stood straight up in a vanilla pose. I cant remember the last time I bought an action figure that didnt have the above.

His belt rides up too high and shows the top of the trousers....which themselves are yucky to say the least. Strip of velcro maybe could have sorted that ?

One boot fell off on opening, one tassle fell off as I put the boot back on.

Not even taken the stogies or spare hands out yet.

I'm really disappointed with this figure and I hope 3A make some serious improvements down the line. If ankle articulation is missing on future releases I'd have serious reservations.

Come on guys !

Edit :- After spending a while with him I can say for certain I wont buy figs without rockers/toe hinge. What a bloody waste, poor Sam Sad Please tell me he was a one off Gregory ? Crying or Very sad

Edit 2 :- Chatting to 3A regulars on Facebook they say Sam's artic (lack of it) is typical 3A for characters in boots. My first thought was Johhny...... Nooooooo !

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:23 am

Huh. I've only heard a handful of people having issues so far. I've got a couple production versions myself with no issues. I'll let the engineer know.

The vast majority of 3A's 1/6th and 1/12th figures have sculpted boots and shoes which does hinder articulation. These were per design and input from Ash. At the time he did not like the break in the boot.

With the new body we built for Dredd he has ankle articulation. The boot design does impede to some degree, but it's an improvement and will be used for Alpha/Rogue/etc.

3A Staff
3A Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for the info/reply Gregory. I was so pee'd off yesterday ! I apologise for the tone of my post, it was just a huge shock after Mongrol and Death to see Sam's boots.

I was told yesterday that the design decision had probably come down from Ash. I get the desire for an aesthetically pleasing figure and understand the omission of articulation from that point of view. On the other hand its hugely disappointing that I cant pose Slade like I want to. I couldnt wait to recreate some of Gibsons classic covers and felt like I'd been robbed.

Chatting on Facebook last night, couple of seasoned 3a collectors couldnt understand my reaction. Most just shrugged and said thats typical Ash ! One suggested maybe I should go back to Hasbro the cheeky bugger Wink

I guess it depends on what market 3A are chasing. Existing 3A collectors are used to this and dont generally see it as a big deal. I'm new to 3A but have had thousands of action figures. To me its unforgiveable and would put me off.

For the record, I'm 47 years old and have been buying toys for 10 years since discovering them again when my Son was born. I've collected all kinds from Super Hero Squad to Marvel Universe, Legends and then onto Hot Toys and Sideshow statues. Pop Culture Shock Dredd on Lawmaster was my last non toy purchase. My lads 10 now and lost interest in toys, I thought I had too until I discovered 3A and Mezco 2000AD/Dredd. I'm passionate about these and I guess I got a little bit emotional yesterday Mad

Mezco's Dredd doesnt have a huge range of movement in the boots but whats there is enough to do the job. If future 3A releases can add similar I'll be happy with that.

Edit :- Spent a bit more time with Sam, glued the tassle back on and also the diagonal section of bandolier that had come off from fiddling. Added a couple of small rubber bands to keep his T/pants together and to hold the bandolier in place. Snap together belt piece didnt want to stay together so added a piece of blu-tac over the top, behind his vest so not visible and does the job.

I can look past stuff like that provided I can fix them with a little time and effort. Sam's boots just set me off on one yesterday.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:51 am

He kneels beautifully Wink Flight stand helps too.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 am

nice pics! im plottin on this right now. Cool

when it comes down to Ash not liking a break in the boot and what is expected from collectors articulation wise from a high end figure at this price PLEASE push for whats expected. if this figure was for Ash and Ash alone then yeah i can understand that but its not so....
Mad

with all those folds around the ankle boot sculpt the break wouldn't have even been that noticeable.
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks, I love him to bits apart from those boots and maybe the brightness of the pants.

Its his baby and his prerogative but if his aim is to move the company more into the mainstream I think ankle pivots and rockers are expected and a must at this price.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 am

Understandable Toon. Would have been pissed off too.  

Ill you're talking about decisions made from the beginning of 3A at this point, aesthetics Ash has kept on figure lines for over seven years. At the time of development on Slade (several years ago now) we were more focused on getting the sculpt right and the look of the clothing.

We'll be including the new ankle design on this line which is something I've wanted for years and collectors will be getting it on later figures. I cannot guarantee lines designed solely by Ash will have the included ankle articulation on boots that cover the ankle area though.

Stopping production to re-engineer this specific design would have delayed things another 6 - 9 months which would outweigh the costs to make the figure. And at the time of sale it was $50 on Bamba including shipping and discount for 3AA. That's as cheap as it gets and it still sold barely a couple hundred total even with retail support. Pushing new tooling on a relatively unknown character would have increased the costs exponentially and ultimately would have killed the line.

3A Staff
3A Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mortifactor on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm going to custom an ankle joint on the boots, maybe by cutting the boot at the ankle to leave a shoe, and using the boot leg as gaiters to give the impression of an articulated boot.

I've been spoilt by the few figuarts figures I own!
mortifactor
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks for the insight Gregory. I'd hoped Sam was a very early attempt using existing methods and designs rather than the way forward for everything that followed. If he'd been with me before Death I'd still have been disappointed but it wouldnt have been near as bad. Slade looks beautiful and I'm eternally grateful to 3A for making him and whatever comes from the 2000ad stable.

I'm shocked to hear that Sam only sold a couple of hundred units. I know there are hungry 2000ad fans out there. I post in a few action figure Facebook groups and the 2000ad stuff generally goes down well. I did have a mate ask me if Sam was Sporticus from Lazytown yesterday tho Razz Another asked if Sam was still available but baulked at $90 from Japan.

$65 price point on these is about right imho but I'd willingly pay a little more to add more articulation. Wrist joints and boots similar to Mezco make such a difference for posing and getting fun out of your figures. Death had a little wiggle room from the ball/socket but I couldnt get the fingers pointing down in the classic Dark Judges style. The appeal of this line is to recreate scenes/poses from the comics I loved as a kid, you cant blame me for wanting to have my cake and eat it even if its asking the impossible Wink

I accept its too far down the line to make design changes on budget and schedule but its worth asking for future designs. If not 1/12th then certainly for 1/6th. It's good to hear you guys are constantly refining the design and improving the product.

Look forward to seeing how you get on Mortifactor, I'd love to have the balls (and the skills) to be able to chop stuff up and modify/improve. I have tried believe me ! I tried to make a new wrist pin for Death so I could get more angle. So small and fiddly I gave up after 2 attempts. I also boiled the pin to see if I could reset it with an angle. Works with cheapy action figures but that pin was as tough as hell and didnt budge.

I've never had any Figuarts but a few of the guys collect so I see pics and the artic looks ace.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:19 am

inhand review of Sam, gronk and judge fish. by TheFuzzFunk

got robo hunter verdus so will be ordering sam soon i think.
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:01 am

Thanks for sharing the video illproxy, nice to have seen the other 2 versions of Gronk and Fish. Might look for those in between new releases when the urge for new buys gets too much.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Robo Hunter V Mongrol Razz

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by teckno viking on Sun May 29, 2016 5:26 am

Finally got around to getting Sam and Damn fine job with him Very Happy

teckno viking
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by BPP on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:51 am

Pretty annoying to see Sam stock being sold off at SDCC when CS told us they had none.

no chance one of them wending my way?

BPP
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by GlobalObserver on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

BPP wrote:Pretty annoying to see Sam stock being sold off at SDCC when CS told us they had none.

no chance one of them wending my way?

These are still in-stock at EE.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TH3A1505RH

GlobalObserver
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top