ThreeA self repair thread

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ThreeA self repair thread

Post by gundamben831 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:38 pm

::EDIT:: so ignore this if you haven't already seen wutasi post about this particular subject
wutasi wrote:Quick guide to dismantling EVOL Roth's robo hand.

1) heat his palm, carefully pry off the plate covering those 3 screws after the glue's been softened. (YMMV, there are instances where the removed plate won't glue back. So attempt this on your own discretion)
2) unscrew and voila!

*Also CS confirmed the legs on single Mini Caesars with Rothchilds aren't suppose to articulate, they are glued stuck!

(Credit goes to 林殷鼎 on FB - 3A4TW)

But I figured I would start the self help thread here since it was missing  Smile

Alrighty guys so I know I don't post much of my so-called skills but I have discovered how to dismantle Rothchild's right hand.  Given I do currently own the GID ghost version I'm sure the same applies for all versions.  Basically it started out fingers were stiff then just had to mess with it, clean some of the imposing plastic corners on some of the finger joints.  Its just to me it feels like the molds are not securely held together because a lot of seams or plastic flare impeads a lot of articulation.  Anyways take a look at these snaps and see if these help

So the hand

First you want to pry open the inner palm shell.  I found it easiest to start near the back of the thumb

Then work your way to the flat part of the palm and just little by little pry it up but be very careful

Then its kinda a pry here, pry there a little until the whole thing starts to come loose for me there was a bit of glue holding the bottom of the palm near the pinky so I had to cut/pry until it came apart.  

Now you'll notice that there is a pin in the very center of the inside of the hand I happened to snap mine but it literally has no affect on the hand its only there to hold the palm together which they still glue anyways so why design the pin there??

Now I didn't take much further pics which I do apologize I got in the moment and just kept moving until I was done fixing his hand.  But a few things I did find out his hand sits on the ball joint which is part of the molded arm, THE WRIST DOES NOT DETATCH IT IS PART OF HIS ARM.  Another thing that did bother me as I'm sure it bothers a few others is why the GID version's face didn't highlight his scars with some wash or weatheing, enter in gundam markers weathering kit =) did a little touch up of the face and did a little line under his lip to make his mouth stand out as well, I think it looks much better personally.

Last edited by gundamben831 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
gundamben831
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Re: ThreeA self repair thread

Post by brickxbronson on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:21 am

I've got a Finger Gang member with a loose balljoint in his wrist. SHould I just open up the hand and coat the joint in clear nail polish or something?
brickxbronson
Kitty Litter

http://Brickxbronson.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brickxbronson on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:22 am

Last edited by brickxbronson on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double post for some reason)
brickxbronson
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 am

It probablly couldn't hurt. Sometimes also the threads on the screw holes get worn and they don't allow you to tighten the hand well so that could also be the problem that you might want to look into and fix.
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gundamben831 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:48 am

brickxbronson wrote:I've got a Finger Gang member with a loose balljoint in his wrist. SHould I just open up the hand and coat the joint in clear nail polish or something?

As chivo said it couldn't hurt to add some to the ball joints the second thing I would check as stated as well if the receiving end of the screws inside the palm haven't cracked if they have it would add to that looseness =\
gundamben831
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by brickxbronson on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:55 am

gundamben831 wrote:
brickxbronson wrote:I've got a Finger Gang member with a loose balljoint in his wrist. SHould I just open up the hand and coat the joint in clear nail polish or something?

As chivo said it couldn't hurt to add some to the ball joints the second thing I would check as stated as well if the receiving end of the screws inside the palm haven't cracked if they have it would add to that looseness =\

I'm too nervous to take it apart and peek, but I'll pick up some clear nail polish tonight after class
brickxbronson
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by bubs67 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:21 am

Somebody needs to copy the whole thread from the old forum ..too much good stuff in there
bubs67
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:11 am

bubs67 wrote:Somebody needs to copy the whole thread from the old forum ..too much good stuff in there
On it. I will just copy all the visual repairs from the old outpost. Any word posting on repairs without visuals I will skip.
I will make sure that I will post the person name who came up with the tutorial.
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

http://useduniverse.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 am

Lets start off with the IRON MAN waist problem.
Repair by zelevol:

QUOTE by Wutasi ( I can think of two alternatives, Krazy Glue or Pledge FloorCare finish (used to be Pledge Future Shine)
I don't recommend Krazy Glues because it is harder to control and could be messy.
Pledge FloorCare is another indispensable tool used by many hobbyist. It's basically coating for vinyl floors.

You can dip the ball peg and let dry, may require many coats but it should be tougher than nail polish.
Here's the product page for your reference: http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/floor-care-finish.aspx
There should be similar products out there if this brand isn't available in your area.)

Thanks Wutasi. I followed your tips and self-repaired my rag doll Ironman... For the benefit of others who wish to try their hand on the repairs, I have documented my steps as follows.

My Ironman has 3 major defects:
1. Flimsy torso joint (fix shown below)
2. Jammed left index finger (fix shown below)
3. Bad weathering on rubber portions that can be rubbed off easily (alas, no fix)

FIX FOR LOOSE TORSO:

FIX FOR JAMMED FINGER:

Follow at your own risk. Might not be the best methods cause I don't really do all these customizing... just fed up with Ironman. Good luck if you try it...
[/quote]

Last edited by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:18 am

Repair by Teimaru: The man who started the original thread from the old Outpost.

Hi guys and gals,

I'm starting this thread, to show how to fix some break issues.

To debute, i'll say that if you have an issue with a 3A Toy, you have 2 solutions if you want to fix it.
-Email the 3A CS, they won't let you without help, and will ask you to send back the toy or the part of the toy broken, to fix it and send it back to you.
-But if you prefer, you can try to fix the issue on your own.

I'll post tuto pics here, if you have any question, ask and i'll try to give some clear explanations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollow on a Bothead

First, separate the 2 parts of the Bothead. You can use a tool like this. Be carefull to not damage the 2 parts of the bothead while separating.

Heat the inner portion of the helmet with a Hair-dryer, and using your hand  push the dent out. When it's in the right shape, put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes

Make some sort of shoring. I used a wood stick, and pieces of cardboard. You'll have to measure the right height between the top and the bottom for this.

Last step, see of all fits in, and glue the 2 parts back together.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROKEN FINGER
Here, the deal is to create again the missing part,  make a metallic underwired. (first i had tried to glue back the broken part, but it's not solid.
So, you need a dremmel, with a sharp drill, some little wire, and superglue.

Drill the first part, and glue the wire within (superglue)

When the superglue is quite dry, cut the wire (not too short, better to cut again a little, than to have to do all again)

Drill the other part (you really need a very sharp drill!) and introduce the other part of the wire, to recreate de circle shape(don't forget to superglue it too.

Now, you have to "feed" the underwired. I used superglue for it, but bi-composant past, or sculpey can work i guess.Go step by step, add a little supeglue, let dry, sand it a little, and repeat the operation until you have the right shape. At final, you can give a little drilling in the finger hole articulation.

Then, paint it (i used citadel snakebite leather, and a baddack black wash)

Taaadaaaamm !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROKEN BALL JOINTS

First, you need to push out the ball of the arm. Use a hair-dryer, and when the the palstic begin to be softer, push the ball out with a spatula.

Then, you need a dremmel, and a metallic stalk.Drill the ball joints in the middle of each.

When done,
Glue back the first ball-joint with the stalk already in it, then cut the stalk skimming the ball joint.(the left one on the picture)

Make slide the other ball joint on the stalk, and glue it back too. Then cut the stalk skimming the ball-joint. After that, mill a little the stalk on each size, to make sure it won't outreach of the ball joint. Finally, a drop of superglue in the little hole made, let dry, and sand softly.

The repair is done now. But if you are perfectionist just as me,you can put a little weathering wash in the ball joints.
Also, i advice to put some oil on the ball-joints, then wipe to let just a little oil.
Time to put the arms back, hair-dryer in the inner part of the arms. When soft, put the arms back with a rotative pressuring move.

That's all for now, hope it will help some of you.

Teimaru.
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:32 am

Repair by SQUID:

I will post a few photos, you can see the rest imgur. https://imgur.com/a/QQ2No/embed

Removed the cap with a hobby knife

Removed the screw

Installed the hook, Arrrr!

Managed to yank the whole forearm off while pulling with pliers. Had to wiggle the crap out of the eyelet to free the remains of the joint from the forearm.

Reinstalled screw, cap (apply gentle pressure by rolling thumb over it so that it doesn't become countersunk into the arm), and reattach forearm to elbow joint

Carved the round side of the wrist joint flat to allow grip, used diagonal cutters to remove (pliers don't grip well enough)

UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 am

Suggestion by me UsedUniverse: Not really a repair but an idea for if your Velcro comes off or you want to change out loose velcro.

Hey guys. I was in AC Moore Craft store on Saturday and I came across something that might be useful.
Velcro Reusable Self-Gripping Cable Ties (both sides of the strap have the hook/gripper).
Surprisingly thin, thin enough I think for replacement of the velcro on packs and clothing. Just a tiny bit was really secure.
It grips better then what 3A uses but if you have the skills to sew it on then your good to go, if not maybe some super glue or fabric sew glue would do the trick if you lack any home economics 101 skills.

I haven't bought any yet but i'm planing to and give it a try.
You could get this at Bestbuy (maybe), i'm sure they have it at microcenter or radioshack. You could get it on line at Amazon but you should find it in a store to see for yourself.

Here is a link to what it looks like, there are other brands but try to fine the thinnest ones. And it should feel like fabric not plastic.
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-91140/dp/B001E1Y5O6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1364765206&sr=1-1

UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 am

Repair by wutasi:

Fixed my Corny who came with a lopped off head.
What I used is a wood screw pictured below 13 mm long and 2.3 mm diameter

UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 am

Repair by Gwaihir:

Another Corny fix but without cracking the torso.

UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:46 am

Repair by wutasi:

[size=15pt]Loose Torso Remedy[/size]

Here is a rather simple fix to the rampant loose torso plaguing the recent 1/6 male bodies.

What you will need:
- glue dots or something really sticky yet not permanent
- pin or needle (when glue dots fail to work)
- screwdriver
- clear nail polish (or colored, up to user)

Optional:
- WD-40

Majority of the seams on new 3A bodies come sonic welded, fortunately the waist section controlling the upper torso movement isn't.

So the first task, also the hardest, is to remove the screw plugs from the waist.
Glue dots are incredibly sticky yet doesn't bond to the plastics, ideal for extracting these pesky plugs without any damage.

This step could become the toughest task when the plug is paint-locked by the weathering.
And when glue dots isn't enough you will need to resort to needle or pins.
I personally don't like pin extraction because it damages the plug and the surrounding plastics.
WD-40 could help a bit to lubricate and dissolve some of the excess weathering in the plug.

It should be smooth sailing from here on once the plugs are extracted.
Go head and unscrew both screws.

Bend the waist forward and pry it open enough to pull out the upper torso.

Do not remove the front half of the waist held in place by the spring, you will end up spending more time putting it back.

Apply a coat of nail polish over the ball joint and waist socket, let dry thoroughly

Reassemble the waist and pop the upper torso back in.

Test the tightness of the torso before putting the plug back in.
Apply additional coat(s) of nail polish if needed.

My reinvigorated Red JC with solid metal tengu paperweight Smile

UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 am

OK, that's it. If there is anything else you want on here I suggest you head over to the old forum and copy and paste what you think is needed. It's going down today April 1st 2015.

Cheers ! Smile
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gundamben831 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:09 am

Damn UsedUniverse thanks for doing the work digging through the old thread

Last edited by gundamben831 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
gundamben831
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:17 am

Your welcome. Smile Wasn't that many pages and i've been meaning to do it for two weeks now. Would have done the whole thread but time always slips away.
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gundamben831 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 am

UsedUniverse wrote:Your welcome. Smile Wasn't that many pages and i've been meaning to do it for two weeks now. Would have done the whole thread but time always slips away.

That I can agree with, work and school for some and just life can occupy a lot of one's time. Hopefully the other legionnaires will chime in sooner or later and add more goodies.
gundamben831
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:39 am

Though all these repairs are very important and helpful it's was the IRON MAN floppy issue for me that I wanted to be on here. I didn't want to send him off to CS and spend more money I didn't have on something that should have been taken care of before it was shipped out. I knew someone in the Legion would come through and thanks to zelevol we got ourselves a low cost repair.
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks UsedUniverse!
Way to go on preserving one of the most informative thread on the forum. Would hate to see it lost forever along with the old outpost.
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Grish on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:35 pm

That is awesome! thanks for doing all the work UU. This thread saved a lot of my figures! Thanks for keeping it alive, good info here!
Grish
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by pezbanana on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 pm

hey guys! i've got an issue that should be easy to fix.

the cut joint on the upper thigh of my Nabler Guy is stuck. I've tried applying moderate force but it won't loosen up. It's the cut that allows the thigh to rotate sideways on itself, as seen on the pic.

Thanks! Smile

pezbanana
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gundamben831 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Pez is it his hip in the ball joint area that its stuck? try the ol boil and try to move. I could have sworn you did some poses with his legs bent.
gundamben831
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

I am pretty pez is referring to the thigh rotate below the hip, which is probably paint locked. It would be safer to pop off the entire leg and pull out the knee before putting it into hot water
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next