Strontium Dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strontium Dog

Post by Ming on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Now we've seen a teaser image of Johnny Alpha's helmet (quiet down at the back!) I guess we need a thread for Strontium Dog...  I prepared one of my old info dumps ages ago and so this is all stuff I kept a copy of after the various board migrations.  There's another post that covers some more supporting characters and memorable villains but I can add that later if necessary.

Anyway, Strontium Dog has always been one of my favourite 2000AD series and Alpha is probably the 3A figure I'm most looking forward to seeing (Rogue Trooper is a close second).

Strontium Dog began life in the short-lived UK weekly comic Starlord (ran for less than a year) but transferred to 2000AD when the two comics merged in 1978 with Prog 86 (2000AD becoming 2000AD and Starlord).  As with a lot of 2000AD characters, the world of Strontium Dog has developed over many years, with layers of complexity and social commentary being built upon an initial story of bad-ass mutant bounty hunter in space.

Co-written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, with glorious art by Carlos Ezquerra, it's one of the best thrills ever to grace the pages of 2000AD.  Links to the recent collected editions are at the end.  I've probably missed out loads of good stuff but for anyone not familiar with Strontium Dog, this should get you started Smile

Background
Following nuclear conflict on Earth (Great War of 2150), Strontium-90 showers resulted in widespread mutations in human populations (this being comics, the results were grotesque, pitiful and humorous in equal measure - these aren't superpowered mutants, mainly physical deformities).  The main Earth-bound events of Strontium Dog focus on Britain, where conflict between 'norms' and mutants led to victimisation and herding of mutants into ghettos and an eventual campaign of extermination.  A mutant uprising and guerilla war finally led to an improved situation, but mutant opportunities were severely limited.  Many were exiled off-world following the civil war, and one of the few jobs on offer was that of bounty hunter - hunting down criminals, often fellow mutants, throughout the galaxy.  These Search / Destroy (S/D) agents were given the derogatory nickname Strontium Dogs and were generally despised as well as feared.

General feel:  Started off with action-in-space featuring pretty heavily, but settled down to become a gritty strip with plenty of social commentary and at it's best (at least for me) a harsh Spaghetti Western vibe.  Guttings, lynchings, explosions, vengeance, grim-faced bounty-hunters, you get the picture.

Main Characters

Johnny Alpha.  From a youthful leader of the mutant uprising to a feared and respected bounty hunter, Alpha's mutation is an unusually useful one, and one that allows him to pass for 'normal'.  Alpha's vision can penetrate walls and allows him to see into people's minds (not a painless process for them, generally).  He's armed to the teeth with a range of gadgets from beam polarisers, electronux and time bombs to his trusty Westinghouse variable-cartridge blaster (nothing says 'boom' quite like a number 4 cartridge).

Although he tracks (and often kills) others for money, he is often shown to have a highly developed conscience (see e.g. The Moses Incident).  It was only in later stories that the whole mutant uprising thing got covered, and Johnny Alpha was revealed to be the son of Nelson B. Kreelman, the chief instigator of the anti-mutant laws and all-round bigot and nasty person.  A lot of baggage to carry around, certainly.  (Eventually, famously, died but we don't pay too much attention to that as it didn't really happen - la la la - not listening, etc.) [NB: Johnny Alpha (but not Wulf) has been resurrected in recent years with Wagner and Ezquerra back at the helm]

Wulf Sternhammer.  Johnny's 'norm' partner and ex-viking (met up with Alpha during a time-job and decided to stick around).  Not so big on gadgets - prefers to use his, er, 'happy stick' (big hammer, basically) and a range of blasters.

The Gronk.  Timid, furry, metal-eating alien from the planet Blas.  Although likely to pass out from fright at the drop of a hat, the Gronk accompanied Johnny and Wulf on many cases, providing medical assistance and generally repeating "oh, my poor heartsies".  The Gronk's race are all identical, by the way.

end of post1
Ming
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Re: Strontium Dog

Post by Ming on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:53 pm

gar wrote:wasda?

Ming
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks for the post Ming, not read SD in over 20 years and I've forgotten a lot of it. Time bomb blew me away me as a kid, that panel where the bad guys re-appear in space/vacuum, Wow !

I'm as excited for Johhny as I was/am for Dredd. 1st and 2nd favourite characters from my childhood, stoked isnt the word.

A 2 pack with Wulf would be cool Wink then McNulty could take the next SD spot in the schedule. And yeah I know I'm way way off in lala land but why the sneck not shoot for the moon.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dweezil on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 am

Looking forward to 3A's take on Alpha!

The Re:Action figure was pretty good but I'm sure 3A's design department will improve upon it!
Dweezil
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 am

1st pics from the con. (not mine, dont know who to credit)  Hats off to all concerned, Alpha looks awesome, now when can we have him Wink

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 am

And will someone please pull Dredds belt down Razz

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dweezil on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:22 am

Ooooh yeah!

3A knocking it out of the park again!

Great to see a toy company like 3A having such commitment and obvious love for the 2000AD line!
Well done guys!Very Happy
Dweezil
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:27 am

SOLD! *claps* Cool
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:38 am

Holymoly that is cool.
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

http://useduniverse.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiggyV01 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:25 am

Noice.

PiggyV01
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by BPP on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:29 pm

'Rage' B&W variant with all soot bar gun metal work and GID eyes?

YOU KNOW WE WANT IT....

BPP
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:17 am

BPP wrote:'Rage' B&W variant with all soot bar gun metal work and GID eyes?

YOU KNOW WE WANT IT....

I'd expect/hope for light up eyes in 1:6th but I thought 1:12th was too small. I'm told they are on Mezco's new 1:12th BvS Bats so it is possible at the scale. Comic book b/w would def be a nice variant.

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTooN on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:21 am

New pic from the con, love it !!

TheTooN
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:22 am

BPP wrote:'Rage' B&W variant with all soot bar gun metal work and GID eyes?

YOU KNOW WE WANT IT....

ooooo yes GID eyes is a great idea. Cool
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by jacob g on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:04 am

Saw Alpha during NYCC and I must admit I'm really impressed how great he looks.
jacob g
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Minty on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 am

Saw Johnny Alpha in the flesh at the 2000 AD 40th. It looks very cool.

Durham Red and Harvey, from the Doghouse, also approved.

Judge Minty
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum