World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War Robot in Motion!

3 posters

Go down

World War Robot in Motion! Empty World War Robot in Motion!

Post by zbrushman Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey Legion! So I just completed a video project I worked on in my spare time. Essentially, I envisioned Ash’s original WWR paintings as animated pieces, with compositing and visual effects incorporated to give it a motion graphic style. Of course, all World War Robot IP and art is solely the work of Ashley Wood and T.P. Louise. The 2015 “Immortalized” track by Disturbed is copyright Reprise Records. Take a look and let me know what you think Smile

zbrushman
zbrushman
Tomorrow King

http://jpad3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

World War Robot in Motion! Empty Re: World War Robot in Motion!

Post by Chivo Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Welcome back and good to see you on here zb and still with the 3A hobby.
Well if you're looking for constructive criticism, here it is.  I like the idea of taking Ashley Wood art and creating a motion picture graphic style.  Kind of like what MTV did with The Maxx.  But if I'm totally honest, I wasn't really hard hit by your video.  First I didn't care for how the music was used essentially as a background narrative to bring the scenes together. I think you should have allowed the images to create the narrative and allowed audio to just enhance the scenes or the transitions between the scenes.  Put more work into animating the images at certain points to create visual variety and present images that have different perspectives.  For me I felt the whole film was on a monotone level.  Each scene seemed to use similar visual effects so again the whole film just traveled on a flatline.  For example on certain scenes where soldiers had their mouths open you could have faded in and out word balloons to add variety to the flow of the movie and perhaps add to the narrative.  Another example, the scene where Nom de Plume was shooting his pistol on a 3/4 view toward the viewer, you could have made that scene move faster toward the viewer.  And again another example, the scene where the Dropcloth was fighting the de plume, you could have added a machete swinging sound effect.  It just seemed like every new scene was moving at the same pace to me.  If you really want to engage the viewer, you really have to have a pull and release effect kind of like fishing.  In other words some scenes have to be slow and allow the viewer to think, while other scenes need to be hard hitting to keep the viewer on their toes and interested.  If all scenes move at the same pace, the viewer will eventually get bored or just not be engage/hooked by the film and it will just fall flat and folks will be just like Meh!  And eventually forget about it.  Anyway,  take what you will from what I said.  I don't know what graphic programs you used, but if you've seen some of the past 3A motion ads other folks have created and the fact that you're into graphic design whether professionally or as a hobby, you know there are graphic design programs that can help you create better visuals.  Here's a film I think you can learn from in terms of scenes with variety of  use of different angles, different visual effects, varied pace of scenes, and how the backround music enhanced the film as a whole.   https://vimeo.com/18102457
 Anyway, whether you did this film  for fun or to hone your graphic design skills good on you to push this 3A hobby that much further.  Keep pushing yourself man 'cause with each step you'll get that much better.

Last edited by Chivo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

I liked it, well put together, a nice bit of animation that shows me scenes and bots I forgot about.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by zbrushman Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 pm

@chivo - Hey man, glad to see you’re still here too and Happy Thanksgiving Smile I really appreciate the critique man. To be honest, I’m not that much of a motion graphics guy (I’m a 3D character modeler and designer), but I did put Photoshop and After Effects to good use for this hobby project.

I could have dedicated more time to fine tune the narrative, and many of your points are valid, and well taken. Not much time is available for me to due to work and family, but everything you’ve stated is stuff to improve upon for sure.

Can’t give up this hobby. Trying to rebuild my bot collection a little at a time.

@Skipperx11 - Glad you like it! Smile
zbrushman
zbrushman
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:51 am

Gotcha, zb.  You did it for fun to fulfill a creative pursuit; I know the feeling.  I hope my critique didn't overstep any boundaries.  I just felt since I didn't see anyone offer anything except praise on fb and you were asking folks what they thought, I figured some constructive criticism would go a long way to help you further your project if taken the right way than to just feed your ego with more praise.Wink   Anyway, it's great to see projects that folks are working on.  Thank you for having the cojones to show us yours.What a Face
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by zbrushman Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 am

Hey Chivo, no boundaries overstepped man! I love criticism to improve, without it you die as an artist. Always up for learning and improving Smile
zbrushman
zbrushman
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum