World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works)

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works)

Post by mattyp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:56 am

I think perhaps we're all getting our wires a little crossed, personally I don't want to literally discuss prices, like "oh it was how much, man that's ridiculous", blah, blah. Nor do I care about historical prices, but if a piece popped up and sold overnight I would ask exactly the question "how much was it?", I don't see that makes me a heathen of some kind? Yeah if I never contributed in any other way maybe it's a bit suspect but let's face facts, there's only a handful of us who post in these threads anyway!

I totally understand the reasons why from an artist perspective it is not welcome, but the reality is for most collectors our choices, aims and ambitions start off grand but are then sadly guided largely by budget.
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works)

Post by x43x on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

All I know, is that if Ash does any box art specific to the Nurse Jessica fig, I will fight you all for it.
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

http://x43x.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:02 am

By all means, if a piece becomes available for sale, and you want to discuss the price, discuss the price, but don't make it the focus of the thread. Any forum I've been on where prices are listed like a catalog, the price almost always becomes the main topic of discussion.

All I asked was that we not have a listing of prices on pieces. I know Ash hates seeing that, so out of respect for him, I removed those and asked people not to do that.
gregory
gregory
Admin

https://www.instagram.com/gregoryprout/

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:11 am

Furry muff, sounds fair to me. Robbie fighting everyone I mean. Very Happy
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:02 pm

If anyone is in the market for an Ashley Wood one page comic, get in touch with the Roq la Rue Gallery.  Ash will be one of twenty artists contributing to the One Page Comic Show.  Not sure about size, subject matter, medium, or price, but it will be awesome.
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Sounds great, wish I had the monies. Probably my biggest "one that got away" Ash-related regret is the Lass piece that was in the last show you organised, man I love that one, shoulda gone for it. Ya see, that's one where I didn't ask how much it was, and it bit me on the ass cause it was a bargain! ;D
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Yeah, that was a doozy!  I often think how great it would have looked in the dining room.  I had it scanned professionally after the show and the files given to Ash.  Maybe it will make it into a book at some point.

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Untitled-117

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Untitled-118
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Ahhhh damn, it's so purdy, I think if I'd had it in hand I would have sold a family member to hang on to it!

Yeah, it's been too long since we've had a nice bumper book of paintings, a lot of great work I'd love to see in more detail.

When I think of all the great paintings over the years it makes you realise Ash must have a hell of a storage unit, I can't think of another artist whose work I follow who is so prolific yet sells so little.
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by ESeffinga on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Indeed. And that's just what he's decided to show online. Think of what's never been seen yet. It is probably a great thing to hang onto some of that for his family. I know way too many artists that don't have any of their own work as they get older, due to the necessity to sell it all to get by month to month.

But I'd still love to have a peek in that shed. And don't forget, Ash doesn't just make art, he collects it too. I'm sure he's gotta store a lot of that somewhere as well. Wink

I've noticed that I really enjoy Ash's most recent ink pieces maybe more than much of the painted work I've seen lately. There's a calculated immediacy in many of them that I find really appealing. Of the most recent painted work, I still really fancy that Lassy as well. Hard not to like!

I never jumped on any of the Levine pieces because there wasn't a particular one that really connected with me in that way. The closest might have been the piece mattyp grabbed. I sure know I'd dig seeing it again. I enjoyed seeing the the show as a whole (Jem's show was the same for me in that regard) more than any individual part of it. Machine Sabbath represented a different side of Ash's art. A step outward, and I like those individual pieces a great deal. It's just that nothing individually shouted MUST at me when I was there. I'm very happy to have the show catalog (and HC book) for it.

I am really looking forward to sneak peeks and/or postings of the work for Japan, assuming the Levine show's not rescheduled before then. I also have my fingers crossed, because as much as I enjoy the work based off or styling for the figures, fashion and toys; I am more hopeful to see and interested in Ash's more "personal" work. I realize it is ALL personal for AW, but I mean the images that exist for nothing more than to be a painting. They hold an entirely different set of feelings when I view them, and I like that there is more going on that needs to be mentally unpacked. I can't wait to see where he takes that new work. There's always an element of danger there, and the unknown, but also surprise and joy in seeing it for the first time. And then each time after that. Plus the guy just keeps getting better.

-e.

ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Christ yeah, what we've seen is probably only the tip of the iceberg, maybe we should organise a trip to go say hi! Smile

As much as I dig 3A, and I know it's a big part of Ash's world building now, I'd love to see Ash step back for a year or two and throw everything at just the personal art. I found it really refreshing to see younger characters in the recent ZVR art, and that Wray-esque one of the red building, love to see Ash tackling slightly different subject matter, it would be great to see him push further outwards. Not to mention maybe returning to Popbot finally, moving Beautiful War on etc.

mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by ESeffinga on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 pm

mattyp wrote:Christ yeah, what we've seen is probably only the tip of the iceberg, maybe we should organise a trip to go say hi! Smile

Wonder if he has lawn-lazers to keep fanbois away?
I'm in anyway.
ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Albino on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 am

x43x wrote:Yeah, that was a doozy!  I often think how great it would have looked in the dining room.  I had it scanned professionally after the show and the files given to Ash.  Maybe it will make it into a book at some point.

Good thing you did! Maybe we'll see smth like print giclee or sort of it.

It looks gorgeous. If I'm right the pic's name Interlude splitter , about < 120сm > - ^ 97сm v
Albino
Albino
Oyabun

http://www.artandtoys.ru

Back to top Go down

Post by bubblegumking on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 am

I'd be all over that Lass print if Ash decided to do one.
I don't own any yet, unfortunately.
bubblegumking
bubblegumking
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:34 am

A teaser for Ash's contribution to the One Page Comic Show.  Contact Roq la Rue for inquiries on availability.

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Ashley%20Wood%20teaser
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by fluppeco on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 am

looks very good
fluppeco
fluppeco
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:16 am

One Page to rule them all

Ashley Wood ART General Discussion (Paintings , sketches, works) - Page 2 Ashley%20Wood%20teaser2
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by fluppeco on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:20 am

Drool! I love this one pager. Can't have enough nabler... I'm also spotting a possible new iteration for the m+m toy line. Looking forward to the story that will fill the empty boxes...
fluppeco
fluppeco
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:37 am

Dayum, very nice. Tempting, though may be a little fruity for my walls (little kids and all that).
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by gar on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:02 am

Damn that looks so sweet.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albino on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 am

Ha! Very nice drawing. That long nabler looks like iron squid )
Albino
Albino
Oyabun

http://www.artandtoys.ru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolly on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:07 am

simply amazing!!
Dolly
Dolly
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:48 pm

So what's the mother load of old pieces on Instagram all about?!
mattyp
mattyp
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by gimbat on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:24 pm

mattyp wrote:So what's the mother load of old pieces on Instagram all about?!

No idea, but I am loving it, so much great art there!
gimbat
gimbat
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Some serious history
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by fluppeco on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:50 pm

mattyp wrote:So what's the mother load of old pieces on Instagram all about?!

They are being shipped off, so it's probably for the Thailand Toy Expo stand. Not sure if anything will be sold. What a massive tease though, he also found a box of the hard to find leggerboot books, man... I love you I love you I love you
fluppeco
fluppeco
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum