World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3AA 2016 Discussion

+76
theparallax
Heirforce
<{OjO}>
Hogarth
ennui
crab rangoon
MrJack
mijho
voleboy
noisebot
Jaybo3000
SzuTsung
MarkyMac
Dar Wolfram
dtrain
Beaumont
koonfasa
pezbanana
Argentix
Mouse9090
Jahright
fluppeco
Danz
carryingthebag@yahoo.co.u
abex44
SpiderPig
gunm
Jubal285ive
Matrix
noveltycross
luk
thumbtack82
Minion
gundamben831
J&J
Grish
zzzzz
DutchBot
Artoo
Crem
Oneluckyboy
Wooly
LV-426
miracle bubbles
ghostmouse
zbrushman
UsedUniverse
counterfeit
PiggyV01
3a_boltman
666ways2love
Sideglide
BlackBellamy
Joshimus
SQUID
Firehazzard
papamadoo
ESeffinga
BPP
x43x
GrandpaStern
Knightjar
chiowhon
Mr. Rictus
Siona
gregory
Kedao
Plastic Robo
Chivo
illproxy
IronChap
gar
geisT
gimbat
Skipper11x
Albino
80 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

3AA 2016 Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: 3AA 2016 Discussion

Post by Skipper11x Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm

I always thought mega zomb was a big 1/6 hulk zomb kinda like an Ankou-ex? That was my understanding but things always change.
As for what 3a owes us. The least they could do is give 3aa members a little heads up and keep some surprise drops for other timezones, I mean it's a global thing but the good stuff always seems to happen at 2am.
And less of the premades, every time they premake something a pre-order gets held up, it's like they're doing favours to impress their con buddies while at the same time giving the finger to the legion.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideglide Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 pm

As far as the time zones, it is dictated by the office hours of the Hong Kong head office. I don't see thst changing at all.

As an American in Japan, it is an advantage except ALL the releases in the US and such. The disadvantage works both ways. I feel for others, especially in Europe, but not much can be done.

Now, my old idea of giving 3AA members an email and special link that drops 30 minutes or so before public drop would at least help a little.
Sideglide
Sideglide
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by BPP Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Its always 2am somewhere. Can't have any issue with that tbf.

Con exclusives and super limited bambadrops are definately hurting legion passion. I would have eaten up that Evenfall Ground Zero set had it been online for more than one minute (when I was sleeping).

3AA as a set is always great value tho - figure, shirt, discount, card and usually a print PLUS renewal bonus for mid 100s? Thats really something none of us should sniff at.

BPP
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by papamadoo Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:48 pm

The email head ups would be a good idea but. It should need to be send 2 - 3 days before. The big problem wit mass email is send time. Some unlucky can receive it far late in the process. Threea send a email for thug premade I think. But for me I received it 24h after the sale. I think 3aa as pass the 7k bar. That many email is pretty heavy to handle.
papamadoo
papamadoo
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by ESeffinga Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Crem wrote:  and so much of my money/time has been invested and very few of the items I was buying in on have never been made.Instead I feel like the money I've spent has gone to making/developing a line of Barbies with nipples and clits and exclusives for expos on the other side of the globe that I can never get-

If I've understood what has been posted on this board about the Pascha line, I think this sentiment might actually be backwards. It's been my understanding that the Pascha line is financially successful, and especially with the asian market. It's also been my understanding that many of the original 3A IP products, and especially the big robots, have been pretty poor sellers globally speaking. With many being sold at a loss.

So, it is the mere existence of toys like Pascha that allow for luxury items like having 12 versions of the same colorway 1:6 Dirty Deeds produced. That is what people would call a passion project. One that is destined to be a loss leader. But it's simply because the sales of Paschas, and the seemingly never endless supply of Noms, TKs and various licensed IPs help fund those bots, and 2000AD, and other projects of that ilk.

Not because 3A is ignorant of the costs or doesn't know what products will leave them hemorrhaging money, but because the company was started so Ash could make the toys he really wanted to see physically manifested. I still think that at the end of the day, that plays a big part in what they do. They just have to shift schedules around to see it through. I have no inside information, and this is only what my own observations hint to me.

I don't have any qualms with the complaints people have regarding the sheer volume of show exclusives, or with how the manufacture and timing of those exclusives dovetails into the delays of preordered and prepaid products missing their shipping estimates by months at a time. Or with people who get exasperated waiting on replacement parts, bodies etc. for figures that should have been produced correctly the first time. I think exclusives to a show are fine, but this year seemed to really go over the top in the volume of one offs produced for individual shows.

But I for one, am happy for the creation of the highly profitable toys, if that is then used to make the things I came to 3A for, keeps the lines viable and sees them through production. I don't have a Pascha, or a Transformer, or any video game toys. But if that means waiting years for Mort, or the rest of those Deeds, or other WWR, AK, Popbot, books, etc. that might otherwise not be financially self-sustainable, I'm glad they happen at all.

Just my .02¢

Last edited by ESeffinga on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Yeah we try with the email notifications, but like papamadoo said, there's 8.5k subscribers and whatever the algorithm is, it doesn't send them all out at the same – i'm not sure if does it regionally or what. Plus last year people had numbers in the 5k range for 3AA memberships, so there just isn't a way to make it fair for everyone

Details are coming in the next day or so, Ash is finishing up all the ads and then we'll get the newsletter out with the details and post them on the blog.

Admin

https://www.instagram.com/gregoryprout/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideglide Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:05 pm

That's a fair point, I also received late emails but I think Gregory mentioned here before that it was a strange goof, not meant to happen thst way.

I would take the 3AA advance email one step further and announce that say, 60% of limited or pre-made be allocated to 3AA early advance. Granted that there may be more members than allocation so make it random email notifications. I think it's more than fair. Those members that don't get picked still have 40% allocation for public to gdt a crack at. If those members who pass, then it goes to the public pool upon official release date and time.
Sideglide
Sideglide
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 pm

It's always 2am somewhere but I'm not asking 3a to sell stuff in the middle of their night but surely the day doesn't start at 9 and then shut up shop 1hr later? I'm assuming they work at least an 8hr day so what's the harm in dropping a surprise sale at 9am and then drop another batch after lunch, let's say 5-6hrs later. Surely all the members are not in Asia, I know I'm not alone here. We are global so why can't 3a act global. It's happened before, Zomkin, Custard, JC & Cowbot all had spread out times. All I'm asking is an equal chance here, it ain't exactly rocket science. pirat
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by BPP Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Id never really thought about it but isn't AW in Oz and that dictates the drops? Don't know why but language used always made me assume he has some 'live' oversight function for bamba.

When you have 3 major time zones (and variations within ie east coast / west coast, UK-eastern Med) then keeping us all happy isn't likely. Plus a great many don't have acesss to the net 9-5 with work etc..

BPP
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:45 pm

E's not wrong. Pascha's TK's, Transformers, etc when they sell well they all help pay for development and production of the more obscure and original lines. They absolutely help keep lines like 2000AD afloat and they ultimately help keep ThreeA afloat.

Big bots like the WWR bots cost a ton to produce and the sales don't often cover the cost of production, some lines don't even cover the cost of development – which is why some are short lived. You gotta factor in sculpting, revisions, engineering, materials, painting, decal design, fabrication and tailoring, digital sculpting, 3D printing when needed, tooling, molds, the amount of molds, prototyping, more revisions, packaging, shipping materials, global shipping, the factories, the factory workers, the office workers, overtime, the staff that work remotely, taxes, and the time it takes to make all that happen. There's a lot of overhead and it ain't cheap.    

ThreeA is Ash's giant art project, it is his pop art factory, but at the end of the day it is a business with a fair amount of people involved and he and Kim and Siu have to make sure that they are able to take care of all the people that work for them. If doing show appearances to help with exposure or meet with potential licensors they want to work with or creating more characters in a line that there is clear support and demand for is helping them achieve that, then I fail to see how that's detrimental in the long run. It means things like Andy or Robo-Hunter can happen.  

I will say that 2016 will have less convention appearances than the last year. There's 8 show's we'll have presence at, but one or two aren't 100%. There will be a few new cons we're trying out and many that we return to that we're able to do thanks to regional distributors like JP Toys, Good Smile, and Beast Kingdom. Can't say that Ash or Siu will be at all of them though.

The main problem with cons outside of Asia (and the ones in Asia) is that they are very expensive to do. The costs to do shows like SDCC are insane and keep getting more insane, the floor space alone at SDCC costs enough to buy a house in the midwest. And there's shipping, travel, and display expenses etc. Exclusives at these shows help a lot with covering the expenses. I don't think we've ever broken even doing SDCC even with the amount of exclusives that have happened at that show. It's just a fucking monster.

TLDR – Toys is expensive. 2016 will be cool.

Last edited by gregory on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by papamadoo Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 pm

something who could work is a voucher code system. (but I do understand it will need some prog and databaser magic behind.

if we have like 10 000 3aa member, during a week long the drop will occur. but at different time for anyone.

each one will have a voucher code for is acoount (like 10 000 different) a email is sent to 1000 people with a code specific to a specific hour time the next week. total I image maybe 1000 premade. the 1000 people will figth over 100(10% of total figure) figure dropped withing a hour or 2.

and so on a other group of 1000 people receive an voucher for a specific different hour. for 100 figure. etc etc.

so the chance luck stay on. but everyone is informed of the drop. its even reduce de flipper effect, because they wont have access all in the same time.

it could turn like.

1000 email with CDW voucher for the 3 mai at 4:00 pm HK (100 figure)
1000 email with XDF voucher for the 5 mai at 1:00 pm HK (100 figure)
1000 email with FSE voucher for the 6 mai at 9:00 am HK (100 figure)
and so on and so on.

the voucher is link to your account so even if you know the time and hour of an other drop you won't have acces to it.
papamadoo
papamadoo
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by papamadoo Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:50 pm

gregory wrote: SDCC costs enough to buy a house in the midwest. 

By Zombie Jebus furry balls :O !!!

imagine all the toys you could give to me :3
papamadoo
papamadoo
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Sales typically have to happen at a time when staff are in the office (so HK office hours/same time zone Ash is in) or have access to bambaland, so doing the regional/late drops means someone's gotta stay until 9pm or whatever time needed. They aren't normally programmed and they're manually taken down. Cancellations and nonpayments all have to be manually culled and then recycles are automatically done through the system.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiowhon Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:19 pm

I am curious to understand the followings:

A) if sdcc is so freaky expensive to attend. Doesn't it make sense Tt the con exclusives is open to purchase by all members whether they attend or not. In this case the money earn can cover the exhibition cost in sdcc n 3A can still maintain their presence there whatever it is worth.

If this will make many think that the figure will than not attain it exclusivity, 3A can have all the creators like ash, Kim & Siu to sign on those who bought it direct at convention

B) what is the aim of a chase or secret drop figure. I think 3 A Should relook into its objective. Is it so that certain figure will rise in value in the perceived eyes of consumers thus creating an artificial high value to a 3A toys or is it just getting a kick out of fans who could not obtain it. This is especially for figures that are not premade.

Isn't it more beneficial to 3A coffers if everyone can enjoy their products instead of only a limited few or worse off benefit by selling them at exhorbitant price n getting every other member frustrated. In fact with the money earned maybe 3a can speed up their launching of large bot or figures they deem not so profitable or produce at a loss.

Just my curiously n don't mean to offend anyone. Cheers

chiowhon
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 pm

SDCC in general is very expensive booth or no booth. The bigger the booth the cost rises exponentially. But it's THE central hub of pop culture. Every company, every licensor and business partner, nearly every publisher, every major media outlet, and most pop culture icons are there. It's become a necessary evil within the majority of entertainment industries. It's where a lot of business deals happen, so even if there's no booth and it's just the licensing team or whoever being sent there to rep the company, it's still gonna cost a penny or two. Goes with any show.

I'm not sure I understand..lately there are often online editions of the show exclusives. The pre-mades at the show are essentially early bird editions when that happens and the pre-orders are for everyone that can't make it. There's a threshold for how many can be produced at a time within the time frame leading up to that show. Some shows there just isn't time to make that happen or Ash simply doesn't want to do it for whatever reason.

Chases/secret drops are simply done for the fun of it. Ash likes to do them, Ash makes the call, that's really all it comes down to.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiowhon Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Thanks for the insight Greg.

chiowhon
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by LV-426 Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:01 am

. . .

Last edited by LV-426 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LV-426
LV-426
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 am

exclusive WWR comic with next chapter(or prequel von nom origin) to the shitty nine included in 3AA set? *not holding my breath*
illproxy
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Crem Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:43 am

LV-426 wrote:
Crem wrote: . . . a line of Barbies with nipples and clits ...

Yummy   drunken

I can totally understand the appeal- but I've had my fair share of real women- even a few with piercings,so having a doll doesn't do it for me,sorry...

Maybe someone wants to split a membership with me- don't really need another NOM- and since I'm not even sure anything I want to collect will drop in 2016,it currently seems foolish to reup. I want to support the company but I'm having trouble finding reasons as to why- mostly based on the lack of appeal for most recent offerings...

3A must know when folks first showed up here- maybe let SOME exclusives be based on tours of duty and the longer you been here? The number of memberships sold have year after year increased and for those who have been here in support the whole time I feel get very little perks for time served and for being here/contributing for years. I'm a second year guy myself and there are still some first year folks lurking- there should be a VETS MEMBERSHIP LEVEL( PRV CLUB- if you were here for the PRV list and discussion,you are in the club)Folks who been here 5+ years get first opportunity to buy several premade/exclusive items throughout the year( 1 a quarter?) and any left over are then sold on BAMBA to the rest of the troops...A way to say thanks to loyalists and encourage folks to stick around perhaps ...
if you are a member of an organization or whatnot,there are usually perks that come along with the longer you are a member...my AAA card started with 15miles of free towing- I now have unlimited towing and miles- because I've been a loyal customer for years...Most clubs work this way,maybe 3A should look into it...

Crem
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by geisT Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:21 am

BPP wrote:Its always 2am somewhere. Can't have any issue with that tbf.

Con exclusives and super limited bambadrops are definately hurting legion passion. I would have eaten up that Evenfall Ground Zero set had it been online for more than one minute (when I was sleeping).

3AA as a set is always great value tho - figure, shirt, discount, card and usually a print PLUS renewal bonus for mid 100s? Thats really something none of us should sniff at.

YO! Ground Zero preorder/not premade Blitzdrop killed my view/connection to 3Ash ...since i dont care/enjoy about new stuff (edit:like i should do)...sucks...

Last edited by geisT on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
geisT
geisT
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by PiggyV01 Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:26 am

Gregory, thanks for the explanations and transparency lately. Its gone a long way to assuage my negative feelings towards ThreeA.

PiggyV01
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by illproxy Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:30 am

PiggyV01 wrote:Gregory, thanks for the explanations and transparency lately. Its gone a long way to assuage my negative feelings towards ThreeA.

this. Gregory it is always greatly appreciated, cheers Very Happy
illproxy
illproxy
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Danz Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks Greg! Appreciate the insight on the cons...
Danz
Danz
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by fluppeco Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am

Crem wrote:
LV-426 wrote:
Crem wrote: . . . a line of Barbies with nipples and clits ...

Yummy   drunken

I can totally understand the appeal- but I've had my fair share of real women- even a few with piercings,so having a doll doesn't do it for me,sorry...

Maybe someone wants to split a membership with me- don't really need another NOM- and since I'm not even sure anything I want to collect will drop in 2016,it currently seems foolish to reup. I want to support the company but I'm having trouble finding reasons as to why- mostly based on the lack of appeal for most recent offerings...

3A must know when folks first showed up here- maybe let SOME exclusives be based on tours of duty and the longer you been here?  The number of memberships sold have year after year increased and for those who have been here in support the whole time I feel get very little perks for time served and for being here/contributing for years. I'm a second year guy myself and there are still some first year folks lurking- there should be  a VETS MEMBERSHIP LEVEL( PRV CLUB- if you were here for the PRV list and discussion,you are in the club)Folks who been here 5+ years get first opportunity to buy several premade/exclusive items throughout the year( 1 a quarter?) and any left over are then sold on BAMBA to the rest of the troops...A way to say thanks to loyalists and encourage folks to stick around perhaps ...
   if you are a member of an organization or whatnot,there are usually perks that come along with the longer you are a member...my AAA card started with 15miles of free towing- I now have unlimited towing and miles- because I've been a loyal customer for years...Most clubs work this way,maybe 3A should look into it...

sounds like some elitist bull to me, if you support 3A by buying a lot of their product, it seems fair you get rewarded. But being around since year one or two and rarely buying anything doesn't validated you as a supporting member. I bet there are 1 or 2 year members who have supported 3A more than some of the 'vets'. But I get it, you think you were special back then with your little niche group being all edgy and part of the cool gang in the toy scene. It's like those teenagers who like some band because of their obscurity, and for liking them they feel unique and different, but then when their little band gains some popularity and lots more people like them, the suddenly suck. so silly, those vets... hahahahahaha
fluppeco
fluppeco
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostmouse Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:49 am

Vet mentality has always seemed weird to me. I like the idea of the recurring member gift but I don't think it needs to go beyond that.
ghostmouse
ghostmouse
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next