World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peppermint Grove

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Empty Re: Peppermint Grove

Post by Chivo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 am

Nice shot gar of PG with Onyx! Can't wait to get mine now. Just received the tracking for it. How are PG's shoes though? No one has mentioned the shoes.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by deru_here on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am

its kinda weird. I thought that there was an actual heal in the shoes, but its just a small piece that connects the shoes to the body.

deru_here
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 am

Hmm...I see. So I take it you're kind of "iffy" about it, deru? I'll have to look at it myself when I get mine to see if I keep it as is or modify it. Wink
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:24 pm

I got my tracking for the Stained and Stygain skulls today...lol. Shipping beat CS to the punch. Now if only TF5 Optimus would suddenly show up this week as well.

Joshimus
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by thumbtack82 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 am

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Joshimus for helping me acquire the Stained and Stygian skull! I wasn't able to order one myself but Joshimus went out of his way to help me get one, so thanks again! Very Happy
thumbtack82
thumbtack82
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gar on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 pm

thumbtack82 wrote:Just wanted to give a big shout out to Joshimus for helping me acquire the Stained and Stygian skull! I wasn't able to order one myself but Joshimus went out of his way to help me get one, so thanks again! Very Happy  

That's pretty cool.

I received my Stained and Stygian Skull yesterday as well.
Sadly someone was awake at the customs office when both Death of Black Onyx set and S&S Skull entered the country,
so they were both hit with the same customs taxes.

These heads are much lighter than I expected.
Without the tubes, about the same size as a human head.
The two large curled up tubes, 4 and 3 cm in diameter, coming out of the neck, are rigid.
The other 4 long hoses and tubes are flexible and can be posed in different position very effectively due to an electric cable of some sort fitted inside.
2 short tubes start from the right side of the neck and end up buried between the large rigid hoses.

The brown metallic Stained and Stygian Skull's weathering isn't as heavy, diverse and thoroughly as I hoped.
But it looks good and is more than enough to make it very distinct from the plane matte black Black Onyx Skull.
I am not sure if a more thoroughly detailed weathering would have added much to the over all quality and aesthetics of the Stained Stygian Skull. As it is, it is pretty effective.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9610
Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9611
Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9612
Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9613

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by <{OjO}> on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Think I like the matte black one the best! Stained and Stygian looks a little to brown for my liking! Which one do you guys like the most?
<{OjO}>
<{OjO}>
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by gar on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm

<{OjO}> wrote:Think I like the matte black one the best! Stained and Stygian looks a little to brown for my liking! Which one do you guys like the most?

I don't have the 3AA exclusive Haunted Onyx GID skull, but I tend to agree with you.
Not that I don't like the look of Stained and Stygian, but I like the matte black finish of  Black Onyx better.

[edit]
to be honest I regret not getting GID as well but I couldn't justify for myself to spend another US$ 144.50 at that time.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by <{OjO}> on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:56 pm

I only bought the Pep and Black Onyx set cause it was all I could afford at the time, plus I only really wanted one skull as I’m running out (actually I’ve already run out) of display space!  
The GID doesn’t really do it for me personally, but when I first saw pics of Stained and Stygian I was regretting not getting one! Then once I had Black Onyx in hand I realised I really like the sculptural look the matte black finish gives the skull much more anyway!
<{OjO}>
<{OjO}>
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshimus on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 am

thumbtack82 wrote:Just wanted to give a big shout out to Joshimus for helping me acquire the Stained and Stygian skull! I wasn't able to order one myself but Joshimus went out of his way to help me get one, so thanks again! Very Happy  
Not a problem. Enjoy it!!

Joshimus
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by deru_here on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am

is it me or the pants really low cut? can move my grove without having to unsnag her pants from her backend....

deru_here
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 am

Just received my PG set.  Not the best made unfortunately.  I don't understand why the hard plastic body was painted.  I don't remember; was the original PG painted?  This just brings me back to the original Cherry Shadow/Sanakte set and how her body was painted and how the painted joints were rubbed off.   Another issue on my PG was the vinyl neck came with a crook in it.  It looks like there wasn't adequate vinyl used and so when they put the head on, it pushed the vinyl in.  Not too big of a deal, but something good QC should have prevented.  Yeah deru, the pants were probably cut too low, but that's probably part of the original design; something unfortunately you can't see in the original sales photos.  

On the positive end, the PG head sculpt was painted better than the last, particularly the eyes.  And a big plus is the Black Onyx.  Thumbs up to the design.  It really is menacing in a creepy kind of way if you stare directly at its face.  And the bendable tubes are great to shape to your liking.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gar on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:30 pm

I have to agree with Chivo.

I can't complain about the Onyx Skulls, except the fact I couldn't afford all 3.

I hold off buying the Death of Black Onyx set for 3 weeks because I wasn't that super happy with the first Peps.
Which less perfect execution of the jacket and face was quickly forgotten with the following AK releases like the retail exclusive Dead Cosmonaut Golovorez, Panda Mercs and Zomb MD and his Nurses.
Both Peps ended up in the back of my cabinet. Zomb MD and others in the front.

This time around I am lot more enthusiastic about Peppermint Grove.
I still have an issue, though.
Robot Kriegers body seems to have a thick layer of paint to give her a bleaker appearance. It warrants a lot of paint lock in the ankles and wrist.
Maybe it hasn't been primed, just like the original WWR Nom de Plume. I don't know, I don't have enough knowledge of these processes to give an opinion.

As mentioned above, the legging, while looking very nice, is a bit too low cut.
Just like most threeA dresses are a bit too high cut.
Not a very big issue but I rather would have loved some more wiggling space.
The hole on the side somehow works visually. I don't think an uncut legging would look better on her.
And all in all I love the result, which looks perfect and tight.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9615  Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9616

Pistol holster is good.
It could be positioned exactly where you want it. The pistol fits perfectly and the velcro fastens perfectly (which is almost always an issue with other releases). Nice.

The sneaker heels are nicely sculpted and painted.
It isn't a fully sculpted heel in a separate shoe glued together but a specially sculpted heel/foot combo and shoe part.
Like all (high) heeled female threeA releases, it takes some time to pose right with stretched legs, without the figure keeling over forward on her face.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9614

The robothand looks cool.
It comes off too easily which only is a hassle when posing her with the awesome looking huge parka.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9617

The padded parka is as it should be and what threeA is known for: perfect.
It's the standard Oyabun jacket, maybe less quilted and with a thinner shell material which improves fitting and posing.
Lots of nice details on the inside like inside pockets, snowguard, inner lining and threeA clothing label.
The hood fits perfect on PGs head and stays where you put it instead off hovering 5mm above it.
The zipper closes perfect to the top if you put PGs hair over the thick padded collar.
The weathering is light,  slightly dusted. It might have been even cooler if it had the trademarked heavy Adventure Kartel weathering to contrast more with the rest of the figure. [edited]

picture doesn't do it justice, there is a lot more to see and it is actually greenish grey instead of brownish mud grey
Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9618

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9619 Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9620

Like Chivo mentioned above, this time around the paint app of the head is a lot better.
Ashley's characters are known for their lack of eyebrows but with the first release of Peppermint Grove people really fell over the lack of a line above her eyes.
You might not like an eyebrowless head, but it somehow looks less naked and works a lot better than the first release.

Not a huge fan of the simple top, which looks a bit too simple compared to the super detailed parka.
Although I doubt it is, It feels a bit like an afterthought.
Simple often seems harder to get right in 1/6th scale.
Something I noticed with other simple threeA tops and dresses.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9626 Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9627

All in all I have only one issue with P Grove Robot Krieger:
The thick layer of paint on the body, which at some places isn't applied evenly (shoulder joints?)
In contrast to everything else about P. Grove, it looks rushed and that's a pity for a US$160 release with an incubation time of 16 months.

Will I get a Shadow Soy Soot Inky variant if threeA happens to have a pre-made release laying around?
If I'll have the funds, hell yes.

The wrist peg broke off due to said paint lock.
An easy repair but without spare pegs in the box a bit of a hassle to contact CS and/or finding a spare peg from another release.
The peg almost looks dipped in paint instead of painted.

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 Img_9625

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3a_boltman on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 am

Just received Stained and Stygian skull and it matches the tomorrow kings Deathmask crew perfectly- almost same paint scheme as TK Death Hack Hunter and DM showgun. I will be posting photos to my instagram at a later time but blown away by it. Dig the worn off paint to reveal metal finish. Only grip is if you move the cables the paint application flakes off so be dang careful and bends to a minimum.
3a_boltman
3a_boltman
Oyabun

http://oltmandesign@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by haaspodge on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 pm

For as much as we pay for these figures, they sure are brittle as hell. Pep's human hand wrist peg snapped in half as soon as I tried to pose the hand. I've had so many figures break over the years, sometimes just by looking at them! Shocked

Anyway, my question to you is... regarding Pep's robot hand --- is the ball joint NOT supposed to move? Mine seems like it was either accidentally painted over so much that it cant move anymore, or it is not supposed to move at all and is just one solid piece. Let me know how your Grove's hands were like right out of the box.

thanks!!!!

haaspodge
Kitty Litter

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:58 am

haaspodge wrote:For as much as we pay for these figures, they sure are brittle as hell. Pep's human hand wrist peg snapped in half as soon as I tried to pose the hand. I've had so many figures break over the years, sometimes just by looking at them! Shocked

Anyway, my question to you is... regarding Pep's robot hand --- is the ball joint NOT supposed to move? Mine seems like it was either accidentally painted over so much that it cant move anymore, or it is not supposed to move at all and is just one solid piece. Let me know how your Grove's hands were like right out of the box.

thanks!!!!

Pep's entire body seemed to have been dipped in paint this time around, many of us had paint-locked wrist peg as a result.
I snap mine trying to articulate as well, ended up replacing it with a spare from another figure.

Robo-hand wrist joint does articulate, it's just paint locked.
Took me a while to get mine moving, was so worried it would snap the entire time.
wutasi
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by raveer on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 am

I have it snapped too. Anyone has any tips how to loose up this paint locked joint in the robot hand? And how to best attach it back to slim rod that doubles as a lower arm?
raveer
raveer
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:11 am

Use heat to loosen up the robo hand.  Heat the vinyl palm of the hand to soften it.  It doesn't feel like vinyl when hard, but when you heat it, it will soften.  At that point you can squeeze/massage the vinyl and hopefully you can crack the "paintlock" allowing you to move the ball-peg.

I as well broke the wrist joint on the human hand and replaced it with an extra peg from another figure. Evil or Very Mad

Incidently I decided to remove the heels from the shoes and filled up the holes with epoxy putty.  Then I drilled a hole in the putty big enough to fit the ankle pegs.  I like the look much better.  I also set aside the ass-chap-pants for some regular yoga leggings.  

Peppermint Grove - Page 8 20181111
Peppermint Grove - Page 8 20181110

Last edited by Chivo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Cthulhu on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:41 am

I'd like to see the pics, looking forward to them.
Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 am

Pictures posted above. ^
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Chivo I def prefer your look, very nicely done.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Cthulhu on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:51 pm

I dig it, looks way better
Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Firehazzard on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:16 am

Cool mod
Firehazzard
Firehazzard
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:33 am

It looks kind of weird from the back, but I don't really care. I wanted an easy solution 'cause I'm lazy like that. I guess I could sculpt the back part of the foot but it's not worth my time. I basically just want figures that will generally look good when photographed and are fun to pose. I had the previous PG and I didn't care for the fashion she had on; heels and skirt didn't allow for much posing, but now this new PG I think is much more adaptable to posing and if you want to change her look I think you can find more fashion that will go with her shoe-heels or shoes in my case.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by thumbtack82 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 am

Nice job Chivo, looks great!
thumbtack82
thumbtack82
Tomorrow King

Back to top Go down