World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand

Go down

TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand Empty TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand

Post by Abrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Subject line explains it all. I can’t comfortably move this thumb without feeling like it may break and it’s in a not best pose stuck.

Iv tried wiggling a bit with no luck.

What do you guys do?

Love the big guy otherwise!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsXD0AvAx8k/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cwt7wys5y3or

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand Empty Re: TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand

Post by Skipper11x on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm

That does look like a very impressive bot!!!
You could try pouring some boiling water over the thumb and then try moving it, that might free it up just enough to get it started, then move it around for a bit while it cools and maybe put it into the position you want in case it does lock up again. Or even just the steam from the spout of the kettle might be enough. Hair dryer can also do it but I find the boiling water easier to control into a small joint. But please be very careful, I'd hate to see anything happen to that awesome piece.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand Empty Re: TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand

Post by Abrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Will boiling water or steam damage the paint?

I was considering WD40 on a Qtip

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I tried warming it up with a hair dryer already - no go.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 pm

I don't think it will damage the paint but now that you mention it I've never tried it on a glossy bot. I think what's happened it some paint has dried in the joint, I believe it's called paint lock. You should definitely try the WD40 option first. Then perhaps wait a while in case someone else here has a better solution. If you do decide to go with the boiling water then just a small dribble, all you're actually trying to do is heat the ball of the joint itself just to get a start, once you get a little budge it should totally loosen up. So far I've been very lucky with any of my experiences with paint lock but I know Vali must have been hugely expensive and I'd hate to be the one responsible for you breaking it so please be careful. Shocked
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:47 pm

The big bots are dramatic ownership experiences like that. Action figure bondage. They lumber forward and fall on you at times and things break or they more often have issues out of the box.

I have a lot of big bots and I will say 3a are the best. Less clutter accessories has to fall off and make it harder to handle. Parts that do break are big socket items that can be superglued easy (example my Gundam inspiration model Zaku - the big arm armor broke off in the box before I opened it)

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Believe me even ThreeA bots fall over and mine are so close together that I often get a domino effect. I have Zaku too, another very cool piece. Also if you get a chance 1/6 Bertie MK3 with the shoulder cannons (not sure if that's mode A or B) and Harolds and Heavy Brambles.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Skipper11x wrote:Believe me even ThreeA bots fall over and mine are so close together that I often get a domino effect. I have Zaku too, another very cool piece. Also if you get a chance 1/6 Bertie MK3 with the shoulder cannons (not sure if that's mode A or B) and Harolds and Heavy Brambles.

I need that mode b Bertie and a big Harold.

I have 3 heavy bramble mk 2.5 JEA bromwhich and Africa defense.

2 Harolds bromwhich and Rothchild

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Nice collection you have there, I'd love to see sum pictures if you ever get around to it.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm surprised that hand doesn't have screws. I guess they sonically sealed it? Personally, I'm a blowdryer guy in most cases. I don't have this bot so I can't give you the best advice, but I remember on my Peppermint Grove bot hand, blow dryer heat worked well for the "weathering"-lock that prevented the bot hand to move at the wrist. Of course, the hand was made of hard vinyl that softened when you heated it so you could squeeze it somewhat to crack the "weathering"-lock and eventually move the wrist joint. Your bot hand though most likely is made of hard plastic so you can't really squeeze it to crack the paint-lock. But heat should definitely play a part in your solution.

I heard wd-40 can melt certain plastics so proceed with caution if you don't know from what type of plastic the hand is made.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am

It’s a harder plastic, not the soft stuff on many WWR bot torsos.

I haven’t done much else with it yet. I’ll shoot some pix in a bit.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 am

TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand 50afae10
TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand 712a2410
TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand B5c06610TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand 50afae10
TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand B5c06610TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand 50afae10
TK Hunter Vali - stuck thumb ball on weapon hand B5c06610

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:11 am

Gah not sure what happened with the photos on the post above

Got another TK Hunter in today and this one has both thumbs paint locked! Here are some pics of the hands. They are large hard plastic hollow etc. if I dunk them they will be hard to get all the water out.

Maybe I could try a little steam nozzle around the thumbs to focus the heat around the ball socket?

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am

Okay - on the black TK Hunter Death Mask the amaller right hand thumb un paint locked with a little wiggling.

Large hand left thumb still ball locked.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 am

Steam nozzle might do it. Either way in pretty sure heat to the ball will do it (does that sound rude?) and leave the heat there for a few minutes. Keep us updated, I'd like to know how this mystery ends. Question
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 am

Ah it does look like the hand is screwed together since it has those screw covers in the palm.  Personally if this were mine I'd try and pull those out by using some glue dots and then unscrew the whole hand so you can see what the issue really is.  But removing the screw covers can be difficult  at times.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum