World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box

Go down

NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box Empty NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box

Post by Abrader on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

As says in the topic

Fresh out of the box both wrist pegs broke first time trying to change the hands.

Gonna have to use a drill to get the peg stubs out of the wrists.

I assume there is just a standard wrist peg I can buy at a hobby store as a replacement?

My first TQ - gift for my girlfriend. Not her best first experience so far. Also first figure I got without extra pegs in the box.

Thanks in advance for tips.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box Empty Re: NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box

Post by Chivo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

These 10" figures have non removable wrist pegs.  They are fused/glued to the forearm.  It is a sensitive/fragile figure in that respect.  I would pin and glue the wrist peg together.  Or you'll have to create one perhaps out of a metal rod and epoxy for the wristball.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box Empty Re: NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box

Post by Abrader on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am

Hmmmmm is like to be able to use all of the geisha hands. I’m gonna drill a metal ball into the wrist stubs.

Thanks for letting me know that’s not a peg!

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:53 pm

I’m guessing there is some kind of steel hardware I can buy, like even small gage piercing bar for eyebrow and just drill into the wrist and screw the metal rod in deep leaving a small gauge steel ball to pop the hands on and off.

I’m still taken back this broke immediately trying to pull the hands off to change them.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 am

At least yours were still on the body, had many of mine lopped off right out of the box.
No question these were ill-designed from the get-go.
Get yourself a set of these pin vise drill set:
https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vise-Precision-Jewelry-0-6-3-0mm/dp/B07FJ6VD2P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547245314&sr=8-3&keywords=pin+vise+drill+set

I was able to repair mine by drilling a small hole through the broken off peg into the forearm, reinforcing it with a metal pin and glue back the peg.

NIB TQ Geisha - both wrist pegs broke straight out of the box 4GTHYN0
wutasi
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:40 am

2nd recommendation to drill / pin / glue.

Will do. I guess I can pull the peg / ball out of the hand with tweezers.

I got another Geisha of a different colorway coming in today. Wonder if it will be the same.

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by wutasi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:20 am

Dunk the hand with broken peg in hot water first, it will be much easier to extract with the hand softened. And don't worry, it will not melt.

My suggestion is to soften geisha's hands first before attempting to pose them. Paint lock is often the culprit behind snapped pegs.
wutasi
wutasi
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks all!

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am

A pin vise is definitely a good investment for this hobby. Even if you don't ever use the drill bits, I stick a needle in the vise and use it to apply small amounts of glue.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am

Mine will be here Monday. Smile

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am

Okay cool got Geisha Desukisu in today. The hands were paint locked on the wrists just like Geisha Sarientosita.

Instead of repeating last nights horrorshow of broken hands Geisha, I boiled a cup of water in the microwave and dipped / played with the hands till the paint lock dropped and they could
Move easy. Then they popped straight off with no trouble so o could use other hands.

Thanks for the help!

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Abrader on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 pm

What do you use to metal joint pins? Something like this?

PERTTY 200 PcsT-pins set 38mm(1.5”) Steel T pins With Box for Blocking Knitting, Modeling and Crafts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNLFWW6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VU0oCb96BRQC6

Push it in and then cut the end off with wire cutters?

Thanks!

Abrader
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 am

You could probably use that.  Personally I use paperclips just because I have them easily available and they are more flexible.  But like mentioned I drill a hole first in the plastic using the pinvise in order to insert the pin and then superglue to fasten the metal pin in place.  You could heat a sharp pointed pin and push it in, but I find drilling and gluing offers better control for me. By the way, when folks talk about "pinning" it doesn't necessarily mean using a pin.  You could use any metal rod that will work for you.  Also note that some pins/needles are coated and don't offer much flexibility if you need it.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum