World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underverse Discussion

+29
LoneCub
Endzeit
zbrushman
zendeluxe
thumbtack82
dtrain
Artoo
Hogarth
<{OjO}>
gregory
Chivo
Joshimus
Knightjar
Beslee
x43x
Skipper11x
Firehazzard
deru_here
gcJAE
ennui
Wooly
3a_boltman
ZombieRepublican
BPP
UsedUniverse
LV-426
ESeffinga
gar
dr37
33 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Underverse Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Underverse Discussion

Post by ESeffinga Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm

x43x wrote:
What did they do for the mods since your numbers were all 0000 or something?

The all zeros happened later. The first year things were so new, we just had our general membership numbers on the figs, just like everyone else.

I’m personally indifferent. I still have the last membership package sitting in storage totally unopened. Mort was stellar. In fact, I generally loved any time a new character that wasn’t yet another Pascha or TK was released. I joined the board based on Ash’s art, not so much for toys. So when the toys reflected the most creative bits of Ash’s work, I tended to respond more favorably. When they start to become revamping and refreshing of ideas, or pushing along a previously introduced idea, unless there was something about the variation that just struck a particular chord with me, I found I ultimately didn’t care in the end. And I know better than most that toys companies do this because molds are expensive! Doesn’t negate the fact that I want Batman. Not Scuba-Camo Batman.

WWR started off so rad. But as we went along, I just felt like the narrative was just glommed onto, to try and support 8,600 Versions of Nom (and related spinoffs I’d the Nom aesthetic). The story seemed crafted around a Roy’s release. Which was cool when I was 10. (Looking at you He-Man, Transformers, etc) This started to happen to more and more of the lines, to justify the variations.

Same dance with Popbot and all the TKs.

AK started out as some stupid fun. Some distinctly different characters. Unique and wacky personalities. But once we started seeing this Zomb and that Little Shadow, and iteration of JC... it just lost me as well.

Having Ash be a part of his creation and interacting with his audience had a huge part to play in my interest in the toys as well. Having him tell everyone on the board that stuck with 3AA that he was going to do something special for folks that made it to the 10 year anniversary, that was a real opportunity to do something truly grand for the folks that hung in there with 3A through thick and thin. And folks, it definitely had some thin times. So to have that special item be a patch (a patch?!?!?) I’m not down with folks feeling entitled to things, but I do value people who say things actually attempting to follow through on those things.

The stuff I seemed most into sold either in such low numbers it wasn’t viable as a line (WBR anyone?), or it was the coolest version of a product, and ended up being a show exclusive, or produced in such limited numbers as to be impossible to land.

So to me, the idea of another membership thing is... less interesting than it was all those years ago.

I’ll continue to buy things I feel reflect Ash’s work at its best, in my own eyes, and skip the rest. I’m just not into blindly consuming the things in support of the company, or the goals of the company like I once did. Only so much room for detritus. I sold a lot of what I bought back in the day, because I really was less into the item, and more into supporting Ash/3A and wanting to make sure the sales were as good as they could be. That is a hardcore support of a company/your friends. But these days, I’ve pared down a LOT, and I have no plans to go back to where things were.

Even the beloved discount... the last couple years of 3A I rarely got to use it. The membership pack was just about the only thing I bought. Not enough else came a long that I had to have.

Gogogo started off as its own thing. Supported that. It seems to have gone quiet. Maybe rolling into the new Underverse umbrella. Who knows. So much by the seat of the pants, I can only buy or not buy based on what is put in front of me.
Whatever you guys put into the pack would determine if I decide I’m into it or not.

Creatively, the moment you start trying to give the people what they want, rather than following your own creative vision, is the moment you lose me entirely. I’m far more interested in your creativity than fan service.

Sorry for the tl/dr,
-e.

ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gar Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 am

ESeffinga wrote:
x43x wrote:

The all zeros happened later. The first year things were so new, we just had our general membership numbers on the figs, just like everyone else.

I remember when I visited Samir (SpawnFan/Sir Dirty Girty) in his apartment in Arnhem in early 2009, he had just received his membership pack.
I was surprised to see his 2009 3AA membership card number was 000. The same number was printed on the back of his WWRp Desert Attack Bramble Mk2.
As far as I understood Gimbat had the same number.

My 3AA Membership card number has always been (0)037 though.
Back then we checked order numbers and I was 38th (I loved that because 38 was a song title of the Revolting Cocks)
But someone preferred 043 on his card so I moved one place up to 037.

Underverse Discussion - Page 4 Img_0311

ESeffinga wrote:I’ll continue to buy things I feel reflect Ash’s work at its best, in my own eyes, and skip the rest. I’m just not into blindly consuming the things in support of the company, or the goals of the company like I once did. Only so much room for detritus. I sold a lot of what I bought back in the day, because I really was less into the item, and more into supporting Ash/3A and wanting to make sure the sales were as good as they could be. That is a hardcore support of a company/your friends. But these days, I’ve pared down a LOT, and I have no plans to go back to where things were.
Been there as well. Not blindly consuming since I am not that rich, but supporting nonetheless. I haven't pared down though. Still having about 350 threeA releases, but not much else.
gar
gar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skipper11x Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 am

The first set I got was F-legion, after that I loved all the sets apart from Lass (definitely not my thing) and the 3ago Bertie (not into that line) but other than those two I love them all. Number 2047.
Skipper11x
Skipper11x
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by ESeffinga Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Ah, interesting, Gar. I don’t remember exactly when mine switched over to all 0000, but it happened early on. But I remember that first 3AA bit had my member number on it. I dunno where it is now though. I have it to my nephews to play with way back when. The oldest is on college now.

I remember giving them WWRp sets one year for Christmas, when they were little, and telling them that one day there was supposed to be a movie made out of them.

Hah!
ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 am

Do we know how big/tall the Silver Astroboy will be?
UsedUniverse
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

http://useduniverse.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by <{OjO}> Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 am

Ash mentioned it was 10" somewhere!
<{OjO}>
<{OjO}>
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am

Yeah he said it looks 10" on tplouise IG.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by ennui Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 am

Chivo wrote:Most people don't use the patches because it requires effort to attach them.
Source?

gar wrote:
ESeffinga wrote:
x43x wrote:

I remember when I visited Samir (SpawnFan/Sir Dirty Girty) in his apartment in Arnhem in early 2009, he had just received his membership pack.
I was surprised to see his 2009 3AA membership card number was 000. The same number was printed on the back of his WWRp Desert Attack Bramble Mk2.
As far as I understood Gimbat had the same number.

Yep, can confirm. SpawnFan1 (Sir Dirty Girty), Gimbat, and myself all have 000 on the first pack.

gregory wrote:I think what I was more curious about is there anything in particular (aside from the discount) that made the packs special to you guys?

Besides the stuff included, the packs were really special to me for the unpopular reason: They were a fun surprise bonus for those of us who bought the 3AA Membership. When the 3AA Membership was first offered, virtually everyone understood that they were buying a 3AA Membership for a 15% discount on Bambaland purchases, and the access to 3AA Exclusives for a year. Everything else was accepted as bonus that we knew was worth well more than the price we were paying for the Membership, and that it would ship when it was ready. No one complained that it took time to produce the pack, and no one was complaining when shipping was delayed. We knew the pack was a bonus that would ship when it was ready.

We didn't view the Member Pack itself as the "item" we purchased, but then there was a shift in the community's paradigm. I think somewhere where the membership numbers grew above 500 to be more inclusive, the community started viewing the Membership pack as the "item" they purchased and the discount/access (to Exclusives) as the bonus. That's when people started complaining about the contents of the bonus packs, or that production was taking longer than they wanted. It was backward thinking, and it soiled some of the atmosphere for some of us. Somewhere along the line, I feel that people forgot what it was all about.

Either way, for me it was that initial nature of the 3AA Membership that made it real special and fun to me... I was supporting a company I cared about.
Of course, the Membership Pack's design and production value sure added to this.
ennui
ennui
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by x43x Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:19 pm

gar wrote:
But someone preferred 043 on his card so I moved one place up to 037.

What a dick!
x43x
x43x
BST Mod

http://x43x.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm

ennui wrote:
Chivo wrote:Most people don't use the patches because it requires effort to attach them.
Source?

Deductive reasoning? Idk.  Most members are guys.  Most guys don't sew. A lot of people are lazy.  For trivial matters like this people tell themselves, "Oh, I'll get around to it" and never do.  Are patches really in style.  I mean do people really wear patches?  Don't get me wrong.  I think the patches were designed well from what I can remember.  I just don't think most people had use for them.  I didn't really see anyone post up any pictures of wearing them. They probably got thrown in a drawer some where or are still in the membership packages.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by ESeffinga Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 pm

ennui wrote:

Yep, can confirm. SpawnFan1 (Sir Dirty Girty), Gimbat, and myself all have 000 on the first pack.

Shows what I know... hah!

ESeffinga
ESeffinga
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by UsedUniverse Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:47 am

Thanks guys for size intel.
UsedUniverse
UsedUniverse
Nom di Sciple

http://useduniverse.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hogarth Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 am

I'm kind of surprised no one has brought up the subject of which company Ash is partnering with now that he intends to be releasing new figures again.  Or is he going it alone?  I'm all kinds of curious.  Will QC be less of an ongoing issue?  If he puts out more 'bots, how will the weathering compare?  I wonder if he got all the molds for the ThreeA figures when that partnership dissolved.  So many questions.
Hogarth
Hogarth
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 am

I guess we are all waiting to see what comes out of the Underverse product-wise. Quality-wise, time will tell whatever factory/company Ash is working with.

On another note, looking at your Avatar Hogarth, I'm thinking about preordering the 12.5" Iron Giant from Mondo. Thoughts?
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by gregory Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm

All production will be handled by UV and UV staff. Engineering and production is going to be overseen by Jacky who was the lead engineer at 3A.
gregory
gregory
Admin

https://www.instagram.com/gregoryprout/

Back to top Go down

Post by <{OjO}> Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Sounds good Gregory! I see you commented on FB about Alberto!
Do you think we'll see him make a come back? "Fingers crossed"
<{OjO}>
<{OjO}>
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hogarth Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Chivo - I bought the original release of the Mondo Iron Giant. It's a great piece. Think I prefer my version (with Hogarth vs the tiny car), but that's a pretty minor difference.
Hogarth
Hogarth
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:13 am

Hogarth - Yeah, I guess each figure has it's pros and cons. Since I skipped out on the first figure (I think it was the price that scared me away iirc) I decided to preorder this new one on their payment plan. Should fit in with my 1/6 collection, though I think the larger size you have suits the figure better. I saw a video on youtube where they do the comparison of both figures.
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by 3a_boltman Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 am

I would love to get the Q&A back with Ashley wood or a Podcast series each month. Maybe even a live video feed of Ashley Wood painting would be cool. A day in the life of the master yet letting him have space to create.
3a_boltman
3a_boltman
Oyabun

http://oltmandesign@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gcJAE Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Unfortunately I was too late to the party for these things but they sound like great ideas.

gcJAE
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hogarth Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 am

Chivo - I didn't look that closely at the new Mondo Iron Giant. I wasn't aware it was 4 inches smaller than the original release. I don't blame you for passing on the OG because of the price. It was definitely not cheap. Couldn't resist, though. No regrets. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new version.
Hogarth
Hogarth
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by gar Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:46 pm

It seems we'll see a resurrection...
At least on paper. 🙂

Underverse Discussion - Page 4 87719110

Will this be a separate comic released on www.7174publishing.com/book-shop / www.underverse.com
or as apart of a 1/6th Resurrected JC release?

Last edited by gar on Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
gar
gar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooly Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:56 am

I see those very enjoyable words: "one sixth" beneath the UV logo. YesssSSS!
BUH-RING IT !!! Resurrect !!!!
Wooly
Wooly
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivo Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am

Well we did see the head sculpt at one point.  It's just a matter of time when this plane takes flight.  I wonder how much if at all this corona virus situation is slowing things down?
Chivo
Chivo
Nom di Sciple

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooly Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:56 am

Not to have it overtake the thread,...but yeah, I would think any production and shipping out of China will continue to be seriously delayed or halted for an undetermined amount of time at this point.
I know there are varying impacts amongst specific industries, but I don't know man. . . stuff has hardly returned to normal as of yet. Maybe Gregory or others might have more word from partners in that region.
Wooly
Wooly
Oyabun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next