World of 3A Legion Outpost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth

3 posters

Go down

Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Empty Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth

Post by 3eh Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:06 am

Has anyone ever encountered mold / mildew on a 1/6 Dropcloth? Just purchased this (MISB) Deimos Liberator Dropcloth; opened the figure to find it's covered in mold / mildew. Reaching out to the seller now... hoping they will be reasonable and allow me to return for a full refund.

I've had bad luck in trying to purchase this figure. I recently purchased one listed in the BST section (MISB) and to my, and the sellers, surprise it turned out to be a Slim Red. My penchant for magical thinking has me believing the "universe" doesn't want me to have a 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth.

Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0711
Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0710
Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0712
Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0715
Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0714
Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Img_0713

Last edited by 3eh on Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:04 pm; edited 6 times in total
3eh
3eh
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Empty Re: Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth

Post by MJA1MR Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:22 am

I once purchased a ThreeA from someone living in humid Thailand via eBay and it had a similar problem, however it was nowhere near as bad as in this case.
I hope you get a full refund!
MJA1MR
MJA1MR
Kitty Litter

3eh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth Empty Re: Mold / Mildew on 1/6 Deimos Liberator Dropcloth

Post by 3eh Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:38 am

MJA1MR wrote:I once purchased a ThreeA from someone living in humid Thailand via eBay and it had a similar problem, however it was nowhere near as bad as in this case.
I hope you get a full refund!
Thanks for replying. I hope so too. I don't see a way of cleaning / remediating the mold / mildew without ruining the weathering.
3eh
3eh
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Artoo Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:33 am

I think this is the problem with sealed figures that people are now finding out. After years of being "sealed" in the box, problems occur that aren't noticed until opened. I think I have one of these somewhere if you end up returning this one.
Artoo
Artoo
Tomorrow King

3eh and MJA1MR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJA1MR Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:01 am

Yeah, figures definitely need to be opened so that they can 'breath'. The plastic wrapping will prevent water from evaporating and any 'nasties' packaged in there will eventually start to grow big enough to cause problems, however the silicone bags can mitigate this issue to some extent. It's also an issue for old 1/12 figures, this is usually mitigated by cutting a small hole into the packaging to allow moisture to evaporate.
Mint in sealed box is not always the best when buying on the secondary market, especially 1/6 stuff that tend to have detailed paint application, soft goods and weathering.
MJA1MR
MJA1MR
Kitty Litter

3eh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 3eh Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 am

Artoo wrote:I think this is the problem with sealed figures that people are now finding out. After years of being "sealed" in the box, problems occur that aren't noticed until opened. I think I have one of these somewhere if you end up returning this one.

MJA1MR wrote:Yeah, figures definitely need to be opened so that they can 'breath'. The plastic wrapping will prevent water from evaporating and any 'nasties' packaged in there will eventually start to grow big enough to cause problems, however the silicone bags can mitigate this issue to some extent. It's also an issue for old 1/12 figures, this is usually mitigated by cutting a small hole into the packaging to allow moisture to evaporate.
Mint in sealed box is not always the best when buying on the secondary market, especially 1/6 stuff that tend to have detailed paint application, soft goods and weathering.

The kicker here is that I broke my own standing rule of buying only open box (with decent photos of contents) on the secondary market. As these early 1/6 Dropcloth releases get more scarce I find myself having to be more flexible. I took a chance on "MISB" at a "decent price" but unfortunately the odds were not in my favour… luckily, or so it appears, PayPal has my back.

Thanks for the offer Artoo. How much are you asking for the Deimos Liberator Dropcloth? "Third time's the charm", or so it's said.
3eh
3eh
Yesterday Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down